So 6 days until our dissertation hand in…

But I’ve finished! Today I went through my 1st draft and made corrections and additions as well as formatting it all for the hand in and adding all the boring bits, but I think it’s done!

All that’s left now is finishing up my creative pieces. I did a vehicle mock up using a template, unfortunately I couldn’t change the colour of the van but I’m still happy with how it looks!

GemGfx_Vehicle_Branding_Mockup

Been struggling to find a good business card template to use as what I’m wanting to achieve is quite specific. I had the idea of having the cards cut like the ‘h’ at the top right and also having orange edges. I also want to have the logo and text embedded into the card. Anyway heres a couple of combined examples to try and give the idea of how they’ll look.

I whacked these out in about 15 minutes so they don’t look too great at the minute but you get the idea. I’ve also included the original designs I created in InDesign

Screen Shot 2015-01-12 at 16.57.38Screen Shot 2015-01-12 at 16.58.00business card business card2

Firstly I want to start with the good news that I’ve finished my first draft of my dissertation AND finished my design proposal essay for next week, unfortunately I opted for a dry January so I can’t really celebrate…

Anyway, I sent over the logo ideas to the owner of Munch, he really liked them but pointed out that they didn’t state anything about street food/festivals, so I’ve adjusted the logo slightly to incorporate this info.

hotdog

So Christmas and NYE are over and it’s back to work.. (woo) fortunately I managed to get quite a bit done before the Christmas break, more so on the written side of my dissertation rather than the creative. I am now 3000/5000 down which feels great! All that’s left is the “interesting” literature reviews, and then my conclusion and reflection!

I had a meeting with the head of branding over at Chicken Shack, a very successful local business which I worked for last term. I showed him the work I had been doing and he gave me some feedback and a contact card so that I could keep in touch. This was very helpful as it again allowed me to have another professional opinion on what I was creating. Particularly so as the branding he does is for a very relatable company to mine. I used the feedback he gave me to further shape and develop my designs.

So I’m basically at the final hurdle for having my first draft completed, just in time before I go away on holiday!

However today, our course decided to deliver us a 1500 word brief including two prototypes of our final project due in for Wednesday, despite our hand in for the final project being months away this has obviously thrown a bit of a spanner in the works. Unsurprising for our course (don’t ever do DMD at BU!). Anyway I’m going to have to put the dissertation on ice for the next few days and get on with this (pointless) assignment.

So following my short course last night, I had a discussion with my tutor who works in graphic design. He gave me a few ideas to try and develop and adjust the current logo which I am going to work on over the next week. However as I did not just want to focus on one logo, as in the real industry you’d have to present several, in the last 5 minutes of the session I quickly scraped together a new idea. It stays with the same ‘flat look’ vector style design as I feel that is popular now, particularly amongst my target audience. However I took the original idea of the old Munch logo where the ‘h’ is a fork and added a food logo element to it. I feel that the sizing, alignment and colour all flow a lot better in this mock up.

Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 14.14.32